22 September 2006

Shadows & Sunlight

More thoughts on Depression -
Another element to draw into this discussion is how we are created. I am not a psychologist or anything here, but we all know that we have different personalities.
You could break this into two groups:

Light & Dark

Light personalities might be classified as possessing (for the most part) the following characteristics: cheerfulness, joy, bubblyness, optimism, motivation, good will, loud, emotions on the sleeve, life of the party, large crowds, social butterfly, perhaps naive, friendly, eager, uppity.
Key words: bright colors, swiggly shapes, hearts and flowers

Dark - emotional, dramatic, gloomy, quiet, pessimistic, deep, thoughtful, hard to read, sometimes morbid, shy, one-on-one, calm, moody, hardworkers, polite, not easily excited, tending to be selfish, wistful, solitary.
Key words: darker colors, respites, tears, journaling, secrets.

I am not saying that these are the only two types that everybody fits into, because we all have characteristics in both these groups.

Light is naturally a joy bearer - but seems naive of human experience. Dark can also be a joy bearer, but it may take time to get there. Dark may be well versed in human experience and yet may have no joy, the experience itself has quenched the joy.

We need to cultivate both - If we are lost in the Dark (ha ha), then we will never have hope. . . this sort of depression seems so dangerous. If we are too Light, then we will never be able to experience the sorrows & trials which we need to shape and conform our characters.



I guess I sort of see this as a color wheel - (I looked at many of these to try to get a good mix of both dark and light; this one seemed okay.) I think of myself as a deep violet I guess. Its funny how I am naturally drawn to that color & feel like it too. I tend to be more on the dark side than light (ha ha), which I think is why I struggle with depression. Anyway, kind of interesting. I know that they use color wheels for psychology and even Christian counseling. Its a neat way to express how you feel.


Abra had mentioned interest in how I dealt with it. . .hmm - I journal about it> a lot. . . it seems to help too. I read a lot of Psalms, the ones that David wrote when he was in the depths - and I cry a lot. It helps so much just to cry, even if you can't find a reason for it. It does wonders. And I pray that I can move on. The Lord is always good, even when its hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once I went to a kinesiologiest *sp?*, basically, a muscle tester. He looked for allergies and chemical inbalances in me. My color was purple. Significant with my ongowing struggle with depression. --I agree with the basic personality types. Honestly, I think my sister, naomi and I are a good examples of both. (She and I had very similar experiences and came out of it completley different.) She is very optomistic, she always sees the glass as half full. I, on the other hand, half empty. I've realized that we both have problems, though. I have trouble seeing point in life and even getting up in the morning, which, I know, is ridiculous. My life is great. I LOVE my life. I try to discipline myself to be happier about it and enjoy life more, like Naomi. Funny thing being, that vis versa, I have traits Naomi has expressed she wants. I have come to think that these different basic types equip different people for different situations -- and we end up balancing eachother out. I don't know. It's late and I'm babbling. I should go to sleep! I guess I just feel like each point of view, be it dark or light, is a gift from God and I need to learn how to balance my perspective out. I have every reason to get up in the morning and I laugh everyday. I need to remember that my life is wonderful and, yes ugly things happen everyday and I need to understand and appreciate both. ;-) I'd love to talk more about it sometime. BTW: Aren't our husbands so gracious in dealing with things like this? I feel so blessed to have found Ben and I am so glad you found someone who is so perfect for you, too!

Hofwoman said...

Amen, God bless the men who marry emotional women . . .

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger