26 July 2007

Watch out, I'm a Criminal

I admit it. I get carried away sometimes. And sometimes, I carry things with me.

It was just another ordinary trip to Walmart, to pick up a few essentials. I was having a nice phone conversation with my hubby in the middle of a crowded store. I gradually pushed my way to the checkouts and proceeded to scan my items at one of the self-serve stations.
One hand scanning, the other, cradling my very small phone trying to eek good reception at the same time. I finished scanning, everything was bagged, and I swooped up my items and headed out, chatting all the way home . . .er, all the way to the door. A tall Walmart gentleman starting to come after me and said, "Ma'am, may I see your receipt?" "receipt?", I asked, looking at him stupidly, "why do you need to see my receipt?"

Then it dawned on me. Horror of horrors, I didn't pay.

I sheepishly turned around to see a line of agitated people standing behind the station that had just been occupied, not to mention a couple of Walmart employees with hands on their hips.

"Babe, gotta call you back."

"I am so sorry about this. I guess I was just a little distracted."

You know the feeling.


Your face is flushed, you feel the critical eyes of a million people staring you down. And all you can do is fumble. You can't find your wallet. When you finally find it, buried in your purse, you can't find your card. You have no cash, writing a check would take even more time. You find a pet perks card, a cvs pharmacy card, and your other debit card. YOU NEED YOUR WAMU CARD. Maybe in this pocket insert? Finally. The tiny pot of gold. Quick swipe and your out of here - yeah right. It takes two tries because you mess up your pincode. You have never felt so happy to see a receipt print.

Hallelujah, you are free and you are not considered a criminal anymore. You just sort of slouch out the doors after being excorted by an attendant.

Have a nice day Ma'am.

4 comments:

jen said...

that's hilarious!! ;0) super fun story - and well told too. :)

love to you

Anonymous said...

ok that made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

ok that made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

oh no!!! So how long will it be before you head back to that particular walmart? LOL

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger