12 January 2006

"the cost was high and the victory hollow"

So, issues of the past have been currently distracting me. You could credit it to the fact that I have had a lot of time to think this week, being by myself quite a bit.
The title of this post has caught my fancy in a very grave sense. When I apply it to my recent pondering of my past, reviewing mistakes, hardships, sins, or what have you, the merit is none.
The past has a lot of pain in it. A lot of things that I wish I didn't do, wish that I didn't say/wish I said.
The cost was too high for so many of the things that I have striven for. The cost of losing the reality of who God made me to be. When I got there, the victory was indeed "hollow" and empty. Emptiness is a plague which often unsettles me even now. The feeling that I as well as everyone struggles with, "Am I enough". Or, applying this specifically to being a woman, and along the lines of John Eldredge, "Am I lovely"?
No matter how many times you try to be better, it always fades to a certain emptiness. It is because the word of man doesn't fill & the promises of man don't keep. A woman may think that all she needs is the security of having a man tell her he loves her everyday. Trust me, its great but its still not enough to fill that emptiness inside. Its a deep down, well of emptiness that only can be reached and slain by the Divine. That emptiness which taunts you so often, is the devil. He says you are not enough, well, that is true because you aren't. You are only enough and more in Christ. You are completed in Christ. The haunting emptiness drives you back to the God who fills all in all, the God who gave Himself up in the highest cost possible, but the victory was fulfilling, and complete.
I feel like I have been left a this point everyday now, and sometimes I wonder if I will ever not struggle with it. But each day the truth is deeper, truer and more beautiful to me. Sometimes I feel like God whispers to me,

"You are My daughter, my lovely one who I chose, who I saved, who I sent My Son for, who I have forgiven, who I have wooed and loved from the beginning of time. You are Mine, and I will never leave nor forsake you."

Thank you Lord.

1 comments:

Emily said...

Amykins! Oh my sweet sister...I love you so much. You are a blessing in my life. It was SO wonderful to spend some time just with you--it's been a while since we've been able to do that. Thank you. I love you. I'm praying for you.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger