12 November 2006

Don't know much about history

Saturday, we took a mini adventure downtown, to check out 2 of the 5 missions (still standing) in San Antonio - Mission San Jose, and Mission Concepcion. San Jose was pretty much all preserved, safely kept in strong stone walls. We rambled round the spacious square, in awe at the thought of something so old being so well-kept.
I was not as impressed with Concepcion. Going in the chapel gave me the willies for some reason. It was strange for me to see so many lit candles for the virgin Mary and other saints, while Jesus was paled in comparison. Images of Christ on the cross are grim, as if this was the last ever seen of Him - we also must remember that He rose triumphant over death.

Mission San Jose ~ Front face


Under Arches



At the Cross ~ in the courtyard


Windows and Portals








Rosa Window



Compound Gates


Battle Dome


Mighty Fine Architecture


Floral Portal


Good day Sunshine



Shadows and Plaster ~ You can see faint remains of the original plaster on the front face of the chapel


Not my kind of oven . . . or is it a doghouse? Or a trash can? Or . . .


Ancient hydro-power mill






Rainbow of Color



Mission Concepcion



Remains of the side entry



Well




Bellhole

3 comments:

Open Roads Mama said...

Amazing pictures. Very interesting places to see, wow! Wish I lived closer. :-)

Anonymous said...

what beautiful pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Conception in such a long time as it is closer to downtown. I lived on the southside so Mission San Jose, San Juan, Espada all missions I saw on a regular basis. I want to take the boys one of these days especially to San Jose since they restored the Grist mill (I have yet to see this) and I believe part of the aquaduct. Did you know that San Jose still has an active church body that attends it as well as San Juan.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger