07 March 2006

Life

The wait continues. I am grateful that the Lord gives a heapful amount of patience. I actually have a message from that deli I applied at - they called yesterday, wanting me to come in for a second interview, and I didn't want to answer it. I feel like this has to be the most awkward position ever. I am hoping that I will get a call today from G. engineering.
In the meantime, I thought I'd share a bit about what life is like here in San Antonio. We live in a busy city. People here think that its not that big, but to me, its massive. Most of the people here drive huge deisel trucks and SUVs, pretty much all brand new. It seems that every road you travel on has at least 6 lanes, and the way people drive here makes you want to pray everytime before you go out.
There are way too many "fats" food places - chick fil-a, whataburger, mcdonalds, burger king, taco cabana, los palapos, wendy's, jack-in-the-box, bill miller bbq, church's chicken, popeyes, etc. etc. etc. All to point to the fact that no wonder our city is one of the 5 fattest in America
Our grocery stores are called H.E.B, which stands for (and I am not kidding either) Harry E. Butts. What a crackup, eh? Anyway, they have a good selection of fresh and unique produce and wines, not to mention a a dvd rental unit on the way out where you can get a new release for a buck. There are two stores that are within 5 miles of where we are, so I have my pick. I personally like the one "in front" of us better because they sell the most perfect rose bouquets, tiger lilies and violet clusters.
Walmart is pretty close to us too, though I don't go there as often. We get/refill our prescriptions there, and sometimes look at their patio furniture longingly ;) I personally like to go to Target better- they have great clothes, and I like their stylish household items (we have a target kitchen :). There are 3 in our area, but the one on Blanco (northeast end of town) is the best - its a Super Target too. As you head south, the quality of the stores does too.
Gas: It goes up and then down, and then up again. . . Valero is the biggest chain here, due to the fact that the company lives here. They took over the Diamond Shamrock chain (which I am still upset about because D.S. had better colors - Valero's just make me want to to puke - teal and yellow). I wish that we could somehow save more on our gas, but our plush fogey needs the super plus stuff.
Our apartment complex is on a pretty busy street, bordered by apartment complexes and homes. There is an elementary school down the road, as well as a small clinic, a walgreens, a fitness raquetball club, a fire station, and some other places. At the light, there is a gas station (how convenient), and then past that, the post office, and the closest library, take a right, then a left.
Up the road, there is a plethura of things for our enjoyment - The movie theater, an ice rink, a Michael's craft store, Office Depot, Ross, Chilis, Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Bath and Body Works, Bombay Company, Starbucks, Pier One, ect. ect. They make fun "date" places for us. We live 15 minutes from my parents. They are making the freeway into a toll road soon, so we have joked with them about not seeing them anymore because we don't want to pay ;)
The parks here are not as bad as you may think. Though it is very dry here, we still enjoy rambling along the dirt trails. There is a park southwest of us, pretty close that we go to a lot. It has many trails that we still haven't tramped yet. There is another one, a bit farther down, that has a hill with a view. We took dinner up there once and watched the sun set :)
Downtown is about a 15 -20 minute drive south. The riverwalk is beginning to get busier now, with the tourist season striking. There is a mall at the riverwalk, and a ripely's museum right across from the Alamo. The Spurs play at the large AT&T center, and San Antonio tried to copy Seattle's Space Needle with their own, "Tower of America's" which just overlooks the city.
We have a really lame zoo, unfortunately (they don't even have koalas!). Many other things and places, so much selection its sickening sometimes. It really is a city taken over by materialism. We like a lot of the convenience and amusement it offers, but usually it just makes my head spin. Its hard to find a quiet place in a loud city. But we are grateful to have this experience. We embarked on an adventure in a strange new land, and its exciting.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger