04 February 2008

The Need

21Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon. 22And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, "Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed." 23But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, "Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us." 24But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." 25But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, "Lord, help me!" 26And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."27But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." 28Then Jesus said to her, "O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed at once.


Looking at this passage for this week's lesson for bsf seemed like perfect timing. My soul is weary.
This past month has been incredibly difficult, with many reasons I cannot convey to you. All that I can convey is that God took us through a storm and we are now in a calm again. Through this time of testing, I was tempted to turn away from God with my lack of faith. But His hold is secure on His chosen, and He bolted me firmly.

Going back to this passage, it emotionally overwhelms me that God acknowledged the faith of a Canaanite, one not of His chosen, and yet she believed. She had persistent faith- she had quick wit to say that 'even the master's dogs feed on the crumbs . . . ' She was so eager for anything, anything that the Lord would give to her. And what she desired was not for herself, but her daughter.
"O woman, your faith is great"

Oh to be like that - to tug at the robe of Jesus, daily in prayer. I have needs, I have anxieties and concerns, and I hunger for righteousness. I have doubts, and I have sin but He collects that garbage and folds me in His embrace.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger