13 February 2008

Looking back

If I had a penny for every time I looked back. . .

I'd be filthy stinking rich right now.

So what? Looking back is normal, right?
I guess it depends on how you are looking back. I really wish that I could focus on the warm memories. There are lots of shadows that cloud the sunshine though. But the grace of God is evident through the cloud-cover. The blessings are endless, all the way around.

Sometimes I wonder how things might have been if this or that didn't change. . . life would be so completely different, so completely not what God has set out for this life. And that brings me to these things called memories. Memories are like photos. Still life. Time, frozen.
Some of these photos strike the core of me, making me feel everything in that moment all over again. And then I have a lot of pictures that baffle me, what was so important to me then is now so trivial now.

But at some point, you have to put those pictures away, slipping them back into an album, or a box, tucking them in an envelope or putting the frame back on the wall. You walk away and you thank the Lord for yesterday, but you embrace today and you look longingly toward the future.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, Amy. This is so perfect for me to read. Not just today, but almost any given month! I far too regularly look into the past. Funny...my problem used to be trying to look into the future. I wonder at what point my pivot occured? Has that happened to you, too?

Thanks for your honesty and the way you wrote this. A real look at how common, and often dangerous, it is to waste time looking back.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger