01 January 2008

Together, we are going somewhere, farther than I can go alone . . .

I rely on a lot of things to get me through the day. Things like my coffee-maker, my alarm clock, hot water, my hair dryer, a car that drives, the dishwasher, the washing machine and dryer, and the many other little comforts of everyday life.

Its the little things like these that trip me up sometimes because I rely on them. . . when they don't act in the way I want, life can get pretty frustrating. Its funny how I can use their inefficiencies as an excuse for my own shortcomings. None of these inventions are evil or bad, but using them as crutches can be harmful.

The tragedy is the way I have become lazy in the little things. Like, for instance, staying up too late, and then waking up too late, making it a mad dash for drying wet hair, filling an empty gas tank and not allowing enough time for morning traffic. Its a dreadful domino effect.

Being faithful in the little things is the most important. It cultivates that character I so desire, that productive, disciplined, godly character so treasure-able, so prized.

And this leads to something embarrassing, but pointed for the purpose of conviction.

When H is gone, I struggle with the simple things of life. . . like, getting up, going to sleep on time, and being a disciplined woman in all the other areas that require the constant daily upkeep. Having a husband is a huge and helpful blessing. He makes me get up. When he is home, I can't wait to make breakfast. When he is gone, I am lucky if I even get breakfast because I always seem to be running a hair behind.

But why do I see any excuse to be unproductive when he is gone? I need to be this way all the time, regardless of whether he is home or not. And never let me go without saying, my husband is one of the greatest blessings in my life - but the thing is, I cannot rely on him to carry the load I must myself, pick up, strap to my back and move forward. He has his own to bear. And he daily testifies of how he loves me with his desire for my personal faithfulness.

This load-carrying, burden-bearing business ain't easy - oh yeah, this was never supposed to be easy!

Its hard to wake up when the sun isn't even out. Its harder as I have gotten older. Its hard when you know you have to go to work again. Its hard because, frankly, I love my sleep (who doesn't?).

This is quickly developing into another goal for me. To get a better night's sleep, for the sake of tomorrow. I want to feel refreshed and rejuvenated, not exhausted and dragging. And I want to wake up early, and claim that 'joy in the morning'.


Life is so precious. . . don't waste a second of it. Redeem the time.

*Its late, I am going to go to bed now ;)

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Goodness, Amy. Have you been spying on me? I often feel like you have when I read your posts.

Top o' the morning to you tomorrow, honey!

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger