12 November 2007

Humility, at 4am Lord?

This morning was just another reason why I need to seek a new heart from the Lord every MOMENT. . .
It began as it usually does - an alarm sounding at a painful 3 am; me, groggily waking up and trying not to wake my hubby. I pull on my gym pants and a big tee and gather a water bottle and a towel. Oh yeah, and keys. Oh, and my purse.

I then drive about 1/2 mile down the road to my little gym.

Now, there are seldom few who come to the gym at this time. I enjoy the peace and solitude, and the sole possession of the elliptical trainer that everybody likes. Its a funny thing, because there are 5 other elliptical trainers, but just not like This One. So, its sometimes a flip when I walk in to find that its in use.

I am a sharing person. At least I thought so.

Last Friday, there was a woman using it when I came in. She's a regular, and I also discovered that she works at our local HEB store in the deli department. We seem to get this everyother day. I get it first, so she treadmills, or she gets it first, so I treadmill. Its just not exactly what either of us want. We both want that stupid machine.

So, last Friday, I was grumbly. I was ultra grumbly because by the time I got to the gym, saw that she was on the machine through the window, and opened my car door, I realized that I had forgotten my swipe key at home. When I got back to the gym, she was still on it. I really had a bad attitude. I got on the treadmill facing the other direction and stomped out the frustration I was batting around. It was the crummiest workout ever because of my stinky attitude.

So this morning, I got there first. I got on the machine and waited for her to arrive. 15 minutes passed and then I saw her pull up. I suddenly felt uncomfortable and sheepish. I was acting like such a child hoarding this stupid machine. She got on the treadmill and I kept ellipticalling. I stopped at 30 minutes, 15 minutes short of what I usually do, and I got on another treadmill. I felt comfortable again. She didn't get on the elliptical trainer this morning, but I know she probably wanted to.

Its kind of a silly thing I guess, but its a my life for yours thing. I feel convicted when I think of how I have been acting, and what kind of witness I being. It reminds me that the Lord never shuts His eye on His children. He is constantly at work in our hearts, changing stinky attitudes to attitudes that are giving and loving.

Thank you Lord for your reproof, yes, even at 4 am


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't it great how the Lord never slumbers or sleeps that He can still teach us at 4 am? Now my other comment is this...

4 A M !!!!!!! FOR EXERCISE!!!!!! ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

HAHA!

jen said...

mames, you ARE crazy. :)

on another subject, did you get a new car??

Hofwoman said...

Yes, it is pretty insane. But its a routine that I have had for 2 years now, so my body is used to it :)


- Jen - yep, we are picking up our purty Honda Accord tonight at the dealership ('04 - gently used, wonderful condition and low miles though). I'll post about it later :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, um, you need to have a baby! What time do you go to bed?

Hofwoman said...

anonymous, I agree ;) I go to bed between 10 and 11pm. If I go to bed any later than 11:30-12pm then I automatically turn off my alarm and get the sleep I need. :)

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger