05 January 2007

Don't Mess With Me, I got Attitude

I enjoy my job. Each day is filled with pleasant duties such as filing, sorting, copying, faxing, and various telephone conversations. I have a great manager, and we pass the quiet and bland moments with chattering about this and that, relating the latest news and all else under the sun.
In all my expectations of being an admin for a small engineering firm, I never thought that some tasks could be warfare. . .

Let me explain. I am growing into some foreign shoes as my employer's protector, warding off unimportant calls, sneaky salesmen and today's experience of your textbook scam artist. I am not a brave person, so this is an amusing and sometimes frustrating experience at times. Sometimes I feel victorious, conquering the sapsuckers, other times, I am defeated by their quick words and sharp comebacks. But Today, Today, TODAY, I was a winner.

Scam artist (who I shall leave as anonymous) called yesterday and tried to sell me into the gimmick - he was a talker smoother than honey butter, but this guy's soul was vinegar. He began personally addressing me, offering a poison apple - and promising to send a fax today, and a deal, and this, and that, if I would only just do this and that, blah, blah, oh thankyou very much and I shall call you again soon - he hung up and I waited. Today he called again, and this time, I was prepared. I had loaded my tongue with arrows and shot him down. Now, to the punch of this - when I told him that we were not interested in receiving the said product from them, he asked me if I did the purchasing. Well technically, I don't. My manager has the credit card but I am the scout. For me, it didn't really matter if I did the purchasing or not - bottom line: we were not interested, end of story. He kept pushing, saying, 'Well, Amy, not to be rude or anything, (his voice becoming tense) but shouldn't you be handing the phone to your office manager? No, I said, as I poked my head over to her cubicle and she gave me a grin. I again told him we both did ordering, but it didn't matter - We were not interested. He replied, "Well, it sounds like you have an attitude problem." I was stunned. This was the biggest idiot scammer yet. "Whatever. I told you we weren't interested so that's that and I hope you have a good day, goodbye." And I slammed the phone down.

I love getting in the last word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Good for you! You made my day.

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger