01 October 2007

Lord, can you send me a rainbow?

As I sit here, waiting for a rainstorm to pass by, I pray for a rainbow. A day full of sorrow should only end in a rainbow.

A rainbow is the symbol of a promise, a covenant that God made with Noah and his family after they endured 40 days and nights, tucked safely inside an ark. Even though they were safe from the rain and devastation going on all around them, I am sure that they wanted to get out of that wooden box many times. Imagine how it probably reeked with all the animals and the lack of privacy and plumbing probably drove one to the brink of insanity. And yes, it was probably really crowded. I can imagine how one would want to come up for fresh air any chance they could get. I am sure there was some grumbling. At least from the bears.

I guess that is how I am feeling right now. Trapped in an ark, dying for some fresh air. I don't want to sound like I am completely miserable either. Those who were on the boat knew that there was a greater good going on. Something that they could not see. And I feel like I have no idea what is going on, and yet, I know that God is working something greater than what I can see.

But I want that same phenomenally simple trust in God that Noah and his family had. To trust God to build an ark while the world mocked you. To trust God while you hoarded 2 of each kind of animal, then shoved your own family aboard. To trust God to direct a huge boat to where He wanted it. To trust Him to lead you to a better place, a place where He knew you would grow the best.
To trust Him that everything going on has a purpose, and a plan. To trust my life to His control. To trust Him when I take on something that is completely out of my comfort zone, to trust Him when He calls me to be patient, joyful, and enduring. To trust Him that He'll move me from the ark to dry land when He so deems.

And to trust Him to bring a rainbow.

4 comments:

Denise Therese said...

There's always a rainbow in everyone's lives, even if it arrives in a way we do not expect or wish. I'm still looking for my rainbow, so to speak, but it's there! Romans 8:28

Thanks for this post, Amy! It was a great encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that I really enjoyed your post.

Hofwoman said...

Thank you both :)

Stephanie said...

I love your honesty, Amy. I think we can all relate to these days (weeks? Months?) sometimes.

I think we feel so guilty for having these emotions, because we KNOW God has a plan for us, and that we're being sanctified through it all...sometimes it's just hard to see through the clouds, though, huh?

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger