21 October 2007

Places are places I am when I'm not where you are . . .

In a whirlwind trip, I was able to make a little journey back to California, my birth state. For some strange reason, a lot of emotions, mainly melancholy swept my heart up during this time. Perhaps it was also, intensified by the keen sense of 'missing my husband syndrome' which tends to happen a lot more when I am away from our home.

Anyway. I flew out on Friday, and was again captured by the lovely places where I used to go. I stayed with my precious grandparents in Walnut Creek, and got to see my cousins and aunt, take a quick trip to San Francisco to see the new Ferry Station Building (I will post some pictures next time around), and have some really good 'Noni time' over coffee and pastries.

Saturday, the Lord blessed the day with stunning weather, perfect for a wedding - Nate and Jenny's to be precise :) What a special event - the bride was so beautiful that the groom cried at the altar when he saw her walk down. . . now, how often does that happen? :) Fall colors covered the tables in flower arrangements, centerpieces and tablecloths. The cake had polka dots, and the bridesmaids wore flip- flops ;)

As I soaked in the lush landscape of seascape gold resort, and chatted with dear friends, I thanked the Lord for allowing me to make a quick escape out. It doesn't exactly happen everyday that I am able to go back to where my roots first started. It always makes me so aware of what a blessed phase of life it was to live in such a paradise.
But, as I drove back to the airport this morning, on a dark highway now unfamiliar to me, it dawned on me how God has made such a place for me in Texas now. I am not ashamed to say that I am a Texan anymore. Maybe not a true one, but one enough to want to be back where the gas is cheap and the drinks are big.

I truly do miss the California ocean breezes, the tall redwood trees, and the rugged mountains. Like I said here, you can't take that out of me. But in the end, these are just places, and God can put His children anywhere and He always blesses them wherever they go. I feel that blessing each time I walk in the door of the house He provided. I feel that blessing every time my husband hugs me, I feel that blessing in the embrace of our church, and just overall, in every area of our lives here in Texas. God is so good.

So, I thank the Lord, for giving me such a creative heritage. . . I am excited to see the other places He will bring us in the life Haven and I have together. . .

To all the dearly loved friends and family in CA - I love you all and wish that we could be closer. . . but until then, thank the Lord for Southwest airlines! ;)

3 comments:

jen said...

you have no idea how much good it did my heart to see you, do some giggling and some deep chatting in, like, 10 mintues. it really was a teaser of a moment and i was sad to see you go. but, like you said, God is good and has blessed your life abundantly, and i am delighted in that and wouldn't want to change His plan for anything. so, just know that we love you both so much, pray for you often, and keep you in our hearts always.

always,
joe and jen

Hofwoman said...

Oh Jen, It was awesome to see you too - you looked beautiful in your brown dress, and I loved seeing you glow :) I could have spent a whole day talking with you - I wish I had more time. We will have to plan something out soon :)

Love you both!

JenRN said...

amy lou! i'm SO glad you were able to come! it was fantastic seeing you, i wish we could have spent more time chit chatting, but alas, time goes on...we'll get our chance soon, hi to haven for me!
love you!

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger