26 October 2007

This is where I grew up, I think the present owner fixed it up . . .

Oh, little house on Bethany Drive

I spent 17 wonderful years in this cozy house of barely 750 square feet. Squished in a bedroom split down the middle with my brother, and one tiny bathroom with 4 others, the memories are many. My maternal great grandfather Obera originally built this cottage, and he left his prints all over (he planted the leafy green plum tree blocking the house :) That same tree saved my brother in the '89 earthquake). My great grandfather used to bury his garbage on the mountainside, and there were numerous times we would literally stumble upon it (in our bare feet, of course!). My dad added the spacious deck - we used to bbq and stargaze out there. The original windows were french, and I used to love swinging them open for the fresh mountain breezes to come in.


We were nestled in these beautiful redwoods, backed against a climbing hill, with a trickling creek just beyond this 'fort' I once had (below). Above was one of the coolest forts, which gave one the perfect 'spy' advantage because it was set on an incline overlooking the road.

You are probably still mouth-agape at the 750 sq. ft. right? ;)
There were good times, hard times, cramped times, sad times, angry times, and times when we all wished we could kick out the walls and move to a bigger place, but by the time mom and my sister and I moved from there in 2001, we really realized our 'treasure is in heaven' in a new way. . .

I am so thankful we grew up here - what awesome stories I have for my children someday :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful memories!

Interesting teaser though - how did the tree save your brother?

Hofwoman said...

Ok, first, reveal yourself ;)


My brother hung on to that tree for dear life while the world around him shook - the rest of us were lucky enough to run inside under a strong place.

jen said...

those pictures bring back memories for me too, mames. :) looking at it now, it really was an idyllic setting. thanks for sharing your girlhood with me. God has been so good to us.

"i demand a raise! i demand a raise!" ;)

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger