27 August 2007

Gentle Cycle

My meditations on an ordinary laundry day:

We all know the routine. The break up of the darks and lights, the stain stick being liberally applied to those articles of a more soiled nature. With one basket on each hip, I carefully make my way down the stairway, over a 73 lb labrador and through the kitchen only to be met by one final obstacle. . . the garage door. PUtting both baskets down, I brace open the door with an agile foot and push one basket after another through. Whew.

I tip in the first load, cascades of smelly clothing fall in. The trick is to settle all the clothing in a centered ring around the middle to prevent the 'hiccups' that sometimes happen in unbalanced loads.
Now to select the settings. . . hmm. Always seems like such a gamble, but I test the water for the "Cold" setting. Didn't mom always say that that cold would keep the colors from bleeding? Or was it warm? Oh well - we always find out the hard way, right?

Water starts filling the full barrel. Time for the best part - detergent. The smell is absolutely intoxicating. . . if I didn't hold myself down to sanity, I'd be washing my hair in this stuff. After filling a cup halfway, I make three circles of dribblings all over the clothing. Then, I slam down the lid and pull the lever for a majestic finish.

Time for the washing machine to do its magic. Who ever said doing the laundry was a monotonous chore?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was here and read some of your blog , nice blog :)(but I did not understand everything because my english is not great, but I learn something new every day).
Wish you a nice week.

Hofwoman said...

Helen :) So nice of you to stop by :) What beautiful pictures you take! I enjoyed taking a peek at your blog just now - blessings!

Anonymous said...

Of course Amy's English can be "somewhatly" interesting.

jen said...

today's my laundry day, and you've inspired me to look at it more poetically, metaphorically, grammatically. ;)

hope all your items came out clean and sparkly. :)

love you.

Anonymous said...

very creative

Denise Therese said...

It sure does sound fun when you describe it like that. :)

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger