01 March 2007

DaySpring

Lately, I have been thinking about the way that I seek God. I am not very surprised to find that it is quite self-centered. I am forever concerned about how things will work out, and my present needs, while praising God and praying for others slide to the backseat.

God Himself taught us how we should pray:

  • Our Father, which art in heaven,
  • Hallowed be thy Name.
  • Thy kingdom come.
  • Thy will be done,
  • in earth as it is in heaven.
  • Give us this day our daily bread.
  • And forgive us our trespasses,
  • As we forgive them that trespass against us.
  • And lead us not into temptation;
  • But deliver us from evil:
  • For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory,
  • For ever and ever.
  • Amen.
  • It begins with praising His name
    Acknowledging His will & our submission to it
    Asking Him to feed us
    And to forgive us
    Praying for grace that we may extend to our enemies
    Strength to resist temptation
    By His power
    For He is Sovereign over all


    I fall short of this prayer, every time I open my mouth. The words are meager. But I was again reminded of His love for us today, when it came to mind that He hears us. He hears these feeble attempts we make to praise Him, just as He hears our mightiest shouts. They are both used for His glory. Even the times when we are not so eager to give Him the glory.

    And you know what is the most comforting assurance? He does not depend on us to give Him glory. He is already glorious, already masterful and awesome. Why in the world would He need fallen man to give Him tainted praise?
    But He delights in the worship that we give to Him. He sanctifies it & washes it clean, just as He has made us to be a new creation. He instills a new heart and new mind in us, to yearn to praise Him. Through His Spirit, we are brought to conviction over the sin that we commit.

    It is an honor to praise the Lord, and we should hold it in highest regard. He has allowed us access to the throne room, to behold His glory. We do not deserve it, but He is merciful to us.

    Thanks be to God.

    1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    What a great reminder! Far too often I know I don't pray right. Well you know what I mean.

    About Me

    My photo
    Seattle, Washington, United States

    * Wedding Day * 10-08-05

    * Wedding Day * 10-08-05

    Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

    • Bubble Baths
    • California, where I was born
    • Chocolate :)
    • Color
    • Cooking & trying out new recipes
    • Decorating
    • Horsebackriding
    • Long conversations over good food
    • Music - all kinds
    • My Husband, of course! ;)
    • Photography
    • Reading
    • The Bible
    • The Northwest
    • The Ocean
    • The River Walk
    • Traveling
    Powered By Blogger