26 September 2007

A little Night Music

Screechy cicadas and throaty frogs, swooping owl wings, and my dog's heavy, excited breathing.

Nothing like an evening walk on a hot indian summer night.

With a pearl white moon illumating the way
, I prod a 'gotta-take-a-pit-stop-every-ten-steps' pup along a broken weedy sidewalk. I try to help him ignore the scuffle of dogs behind backyard fences and the blindingly bright headlights of cars passing by. Kinda to no avail - I guess its kind of exciting being a dog in this neighborhood.


As we were walking, I was trying to work through a period of silence, kind of similar to a hard swallow. . . trying to think of ways to be a more encouraging wife, trying to overcome over 1,000 miles of distance.

I wish that I could get to my husband like I can get across 15 blocks south and 2 blocks east 30 minutes later. I wish I had a way to forward time like I can skip commercials with DVR. I wish I had a more patient spirit that would even pour out onto my hurried dog-walking.

Even my little dog is teaching me a lesson. The art of slowing down and actually enjoying the moment. In his case, that means never losing wonder in chasing hopping frogs. . .

Maybe I am not connecting the dots when it comes to getting to my husband. But it does come back to being patient, for that is surely required these days.

God is ever benevolent in making the days go by faster, all that He is requiring is to face each with hope and joy. There are only 24 hours each day, and only 7 days in each week. A week more will bring us to 3 more days and then a three or four hour plane trip to visit him. Oh yeah, and a heck of a celebration of 2 years of marriage.

But as for tonight, I am going to enjoy every hour of this 6 hour rest.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

Denise Therese said...

It was great talking with you earlier, Amy! We're praying for you and Haven.

Hofwoman said...

Thank you Denise - I loved hearing from you too :) Love ya!

About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

* Wedding Day * 10-08-05

Things I Love - and not necessarily in this particular order ;)

  • Bubble Baths
  • California, where I was born
  • Chocolate :)
  • Color
  • Cooking & trying out new recipes
  • Decorating
  • Horsebackriding
  • Long conversations over good food
  • Music - all kinds
  • My Husband, of course! ;)
  • Photography
  • Reading
  • The Bible
  • The Northwest
  • The Ocean
  • The River Walk
  • Traveling
Powered By Blogger